Seven Brief Lessons on Physics

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics - Carlo Rovelli I'll give it four stars for the first six lessons, and give it a free pass on the seventh - which isn't a lesson at all, or even about physics, but is an awkward attempt at comforting those who might be tempted to think all this physics stuff somehow detracts from the meaningfulness of our human existence. The six actual physics chapters are perfect brief introductions to the wonder and complexity of modern physics. Chapter seven makes the reader kind of embarrassed for the author as he wades into a subject that has occupied great thinkers for millennia, and to which he himself has not devoted rigorous thought -- as evidenced by the fact that this is the least "brief" and most rambling of all the chapters. I guess you have to wrap up the book somehow, but it wouldn't hurt to grant some credence to the possibility that these more "philosophical" concerns are at least as complex as - and maybe even more fundamental and elusive than - one's own area of expertise.